Trusts and Estates

When You Want to Provide for Your Children

When you have minor children, your should always name a guardian of their persons and property. Naming alternates who could be a guardian if your first choice is unavailable or unwilling is a good idea, too. You should name this person or persons in your will.

A guardian would only take over if both parents die. If there is a surviving parent, that person is automatically the guardian. In case of divorce, the parent with legal custody would name the guardian. Be aware, though, that naming a person other than a natural parent may not be binding.

If the proposed guardian is someone other than a parent, the courts will have to approve that person. Unless declared unfit, the non-custodial parent always has preference. This is the main reason to name someone specifically in the will.

Obligations of Guardians

There can be more than one guardian: One can be appointed for the child and another can be appointed for the child's property. You may want to carefully reconsider leaving assets to young children even if a qualified guardian is available. Guardianship is a cumbersome way to manage financial affairs. Reporting and accounting has to be made to the courts and flexibility is limited by law. A trust is the usual choice in this situation.

For the most part, guardians aren't legally obligated to support their wards out of their own pocket, and it might be a strain on them as well. Adequate funds through life insurance or other funds should be available just in case.

More importantly, guardianship ends at the age of majority - sometimes 18, sometimes 21. From then on any property left to a child is exclusively owned and controlled by the child and, leaving a significant amount of assets in cash to a child can be unwise.

Questions for Your Attorney

  • In my circumstance, would it be advantageous to appoint a guardian over my child's property or to provide a trust for my child?
  • My child's mother/father has a (drug, alcohol, etc.) problem. How can I prove to the court the other parent is unfit to raise our kid?
  • Should I name a guardian in my will for my child, even though I'm healthy and I don't think anything is going to happen?
Have a asset protection question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Get Professional Help

Find a Asset Protection lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you