> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > What are the necessary steps to receive a new deed to my house

What are the necessary steps to receive a new deed to my house

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 01st, 2017 on Trusts and Estates - New Jersey
More details to this question:
My father was given money by the court and ordered to purchase a home with the money and to sign it over to me when I turned 18. I am 24 and married now and my father refuses to sign the house over to me. We are not on good terms because I have decided to take over the house. I have taken over the house and currently live on the property. He just refuses sign the house over to me and not even answering my calls. What do I do?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 02nd, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Figure out how the house is titled - look it up in the county records.  You will be able to see the original deed that was recorded when the house was purchased.  Have an attorney prepare a new deed, and send it with a demand letter telling your father its his obligation to sign it over to be in compliance with the trust, if he refuses, you can make an application to court and ask for him to have to pay the attorney's fees. 

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums