> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > I inherited my mother's house after her death. I am the administrator and her only child/ heir.How do I go about transferring title/ ownership to me.

I inherited my mother's house after her death. I am the administrator and her only child/ heir.How do I go about transferring title/ ownership to me.

2 Answers. Asked on May 30th, 2017 on Trusts and Estates - Georgia
More details to this question:
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on May 31st, 2017 at 7:09 AM

You need to ensure that the estate has been administered properly before you transfer the house to yourself, including paying all debts. If the house has no mortgage or other loan associated with it, you should then be able to prepare an Administrator's Deed to transfer the house to yourself, as the heir/beneficiary of the estate. Please note: you should NOT use a quit claim deed, a warranty deed, or a limited warranty deed, as none of these are appropriate for a transfer from an estate to a beneficiary. I very strongly recommend that you get either an experienced probate attorney or a real estate attorney who has a lot of probate-related experience to help you prepare and file the correct deed.

If the house is subject to a mortgage, credit line, or other debt, you will need to have the administrator's deed note the existence of any security deeds that secure the loans. You will then also need to get all of those loans paid off in full. You may have to do a refinance of the existing debt if you are not already a borrower of the existing loan. That is a very tricky process and you may have to talk to more than one potential lender to find someone who will take the trouble to understand the situation and help you get the refinance done. It's not the same as a normal refinance.

Best wishes to you.

This answer is being provided as general information and not as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Report Abuse
Answered on May 31st, 2017 at 5:37 AM

You are reuqired to prepare and file an Administrator's Deed to proeprly convey the house into your name.  

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums