> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > How to deal with a will inheritor living in and refusing to sell property?

How to deal with a will inheritor living in and refusing to sell property?

1 Answers. Asked on May 17th, 2017 on Trusts and Estates - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
Who: Inheritor entitled to half of a property What: Willed property to be split between two inheritors When: Owner of the property died several years ago and the co-inheritor has lived in the property since then, with no intentions of moving out and selling the property How: Do I force the inheritor to vacate the property and cooperate with sale procedures? The inheritor is not capable of buying me out of my portion of the property. Additionally: The inheritor currently residing the property intends to "charge" me a "living fee" for her time spend living the house when she inevitably must cooperate in the sale of the property. This is not included in any will or binding agreement.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 17th, 2017 at 12:48 PM

You can file a partition action to ask the court to force a sale of the property.  Then the proceeds will be divided equitably between the two of you. 

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums