> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > Can I sell a house during probate?

Can I sell a house during probate?

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 15th, 2013 on Trusts and Estates - California
More details to this question:
My father in law died intestate with no surviving spouse, my husband, his only son, has been granted 'full authortity' to administer his estate. Being the sole heir therefore having no-one to object can he sell his father's 'real property'? Can we sign in his name or do we have to transfer the title to our name then the buyers? Should we treat it as our own? What about a deed, do we need to record anything with the county recorder or assessor, do we just show the title company our 'letters of administration' to complete the sale? The estate is being probated in California 'in pro per'.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 15th, 2013 at 11:53 PM

It's very important that you hire an attorney for this probate as it is very difficult to get it through the court without an attorney.  There is a very specific probate procedure in order to sell the property and it must get court approval.

You cannot sign the decedent's name and you cannot sell the property using your 'letters of administration'.

This answer does not mean that there is an attorney client relationship and is not meant as legal advice. For legal advice you would need to call us.

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums