> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > What rights do I have to my parents inheritence as an only child?

What rights do I have to my parents inheritence as an only child?

1 Answers. Asked on Nov 17th, 2013 on Trusts and Estates - Ohio
More details to this question:
My parents are in their 70's and their health is not at its best. They live in Tennessee and I live in Ohio as this is where I was able to find employment after I was honorably discharged from the US Navy. Through out the years I have always tried to maintain communications with them by visiting or calling however with my mothers recent series of strokes and broken shoulder my father appears to be in a state of denial and relies on one of his neighbors to keep me informed of my mothers health. My parents are not rich but do have a solid savings with investments average a return of at least $50,000 a year. Their house is worth approximately $400,000. The problem is my father's neighbor has began to interfere with our relationship and I am wondering if I have been cut out of their will and would I be entitled to anything as their only child.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You should discuss this with them. How would i know if you were cut out of their will. if they die without a will, chances are you will inherit the entire estate if you are the only child. Whether your parents would make the neighbor an agent on their POA is something you need to discuss with them also.

William R. Pelger, Attorney Munhall, Pennsylvania 412-461-1900

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

146 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

120 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

88 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Trusts and Estates Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Ronald H. Colvin, P.A.

Spartanburg, SC

| Contact Now

Hwang & Haas, PC

East Norriton, PA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums