> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > My father is deceased, I believe that the young lady that was living with him forged her name on his pension benefits. she's now receiving his pension

My father is deceased, I believe that the young lady that was living with him forged her name on his pension benefits. she's now receiving his pension

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 21st, 2017 on Trusts and Estates - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
My father had trouble reading and writing, so he would ask friends / family members people to help him read his mail and sign things for him. I believe the young lady that is receiving his pension forged her name on it and she is now receiving his pension benefits every month. I'm his biological daughter and i would like to know do i have a chance to fight this matter? And what kind of Lawyer do i look for?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:42 AM

I'm sorry to hear about this situation.  It's sadly something that we see all the time.  Your chances depend on a variety of factors.  How long ago did your father pass away and how long has it been since you've known about the change to his pension benefits?  If too much time has passed, you may have lost your opportunity to file a claim.  Did your father have a will or was there an estate administration proceeding opened following his death?  You'd have to open an estate in order to raise a claim against the current beneficiary becasue the money, if the transaction was undone the money would probably have to be paid to the estate and then distributed according to his will or, in the absence of a will, the law of intestate succession.  Finally it will be important to know all about his congnitive condition at the time of the pension change and whether the lady had a power of attorney over him.  Did she sign or did he sign?  Those details will be important to know and you may not be able to investigate them before opening an estate.  You should seek out an attorney who litigates in orhpan's court regularly.  If you're in the Pittsburgh region, I invite you to contact my law firm.

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

146 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

120 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

88 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Trusts and Estates Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums