> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > My father has a revocable trust he set up for his four children. We want to revoke the trust. How can we

My father has a revocable trust he set up for his four children. We want to revoke the trust. How can we

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 16th, 2017 on Trusts and Estates - California
More details to this question:
My father is 95 and now requires us to move him to an assisted living facility which we did. All the trust assests are cash which he has earmarked for us children. But we want to use that money to support him now as it is expensive. We took some money out of one account but the bank want let us deposit it as it in the trust. We just want to break the trust and would like to know the best way to do it. Can you help us?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:40 PM

If the trust is revocable, it can be revoked by the settlor.  If an attorney-in-fact has the authority under a power of attorney, then that agent can act for him.

If the trust is irrevocable, it can be modified or revoked with the consent of the settlor and the beneficiaries.  This would require a court ruling.

Call or email an attorney for a full consutlation.

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

146 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

120 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

88 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Trusts and Estates Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Hunter Law Firm

Hampton, VA

| Contact Now

Daniel G. McMeekin

Covina, CA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums