> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Trusts and Estates > Can my mother transfer a trust from a Columbus, OH attorney to one in Lima, OH?

Can my mother transfer a trust from a Columbus, OH attorney to one in Lima, OH?

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 05th, 2012 on Trusts and Estates - Ohio
More details to this question:
In 1999 my parents had a trust drawn up from an attorney in Columbus, OH. In 2005 both my father and the attorney that drew up the trust passed. We have just recently found out that another attorney took over for the attorney that passed. We found this out from aggressive investment salesmen connected to the later atttoney. We would like to transfer this trust to an attorney in our area that we know and trust. What expenses would we incur if we did this or can we do it without having to have a new trust drawn up?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Tonya R. Coles at Law Office of Tonya R. Coles
Licenced in OH
Answered on Sep 06th, 2012 at 12:29 PM

What you can do depends on the terms of the trust. Schedule an appointment with the attorney that you know and trust. Take a copy of the trust with you to the appointment. The attorney can read the trust to determine if the transfer is permitted. If the trust does not say what happens in the event that a beneficiary wants to change trustees (I'm assuming that the attorney is acting as the trustee), then Ohio law will determine what is permitted.

Tonya R. Coles

Elder Law -- Estate Planning -- Probate

Report Abuse
Trusts and Estates
Trusts and estates attorneys work with clients of all ages to craft estate planning strategies that help protect and preserve a client's wealth; ensure an individual's legacy; minimize federal and state estate taxes; ensure that beneficiaries receive the bequests to which they are entitled; and make contingency plans for raising young children if parents die prematurely or are unable to care for their offspring. Trusts and estates lawyers can offer advice and guidance on essential estate planning documents and tools, including the last will and testament, trusts, legal and financial power of attorney, and advance directives (including healthcare power of attorney and living will). Don't delay when it comes to estate planning, regardless of your age, the size of your estate or whether you have a family, you should meet with a trusts and estates law firm today.
Have an Trusts and Estates Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

146 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

120 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

88 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Trusts and Estates Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums